Hell's Kitchen: Deliciously Rude

RUDE REALITY: "Hell's Kitchen" is arguably the rudest show on television. Call me a hypocrite but I can't get enough of it. I'm not as fascinated with Chef Gordon Ramsey who, despite going out of his way to be abusive, actually is more funny to me than intimidating. (I've heard more menacing expletive-filled rants from my grandmother who I love dearly.) I am far more intrigued by the culinary lab rats who sign up each season to be humiliated over hot stoves on national television. I'm fascinated by the human drama that ensues when people throw their dignity and morals out of the window for a little slice of fame and a chance for a head chef job at one of Ramsey's restaurants.

I must admit I naturally was rooting for the sistah, Jen, to win. But that was weeks ago before she started shaming the sistahood by lying repeatedly and throwing everyone - even the lone brotha, Bobby - under the bus at every stop. She was sent home last night and I couldn't feel bad because any self-respecting sistah knows damn well "God don't like ugly." Plus her voice bugged me and her attitude was setting us back. I would have had more respect for her if she had followed the stereotype and cursed Chef Ramsey out whenever he called her stupid, lazy and slow. That would have seemed less slimy.

The show will probably lack most of its flavor for me now that Lying Jen and Brotha Bobby are both gone. The entire premise of the show makes me have to ask you though. Sure, we curse people out and are even ready to throw some 'bows when confronted by blatant rudeness and ignorance on the street, in the club and even at Thanksgiving dinner. How much are you willing to dish out or swallow for fast fame and a plump paycheck?

No comments: